Friday, January 30, 2009

Hair Trauma Drama

So, for those of you who don’t know me, I like to dye my hair. I’ve gone blonde, strawberry blonde, brown, dark brown, and most recently, black.

Where I “started” at in college… (I think this is my real hair color!)

When you use blonde on brown hair, you get a weird mix of blonde and red, depending on the light you’re standing under. In this one, it’s yellowish-orange.

Dark Brown – either mid to late ’07

And finally black – back around Thanksgiving ‘08

Because I do it myself at home, with kits, I always have the potential of it not working out. I’ve always had pretty good luck, actually, with having it turn out to a normal hair color (at least on someone on this planet!) And this last time, the black looked o.k. for a while, but I think I’m over it. Plus, my roots have started showing, and they were my natural medium brown. Needless to say, brown and black are VERY different, especially when they’re right next to each other.

A few weeks ago, I decided since my roots were showing, that I’d dye my hair brown again to bring it back to its “original state”. However, since my roots and actual hair were technically 2 different colors when I used the overall color, and you CAN’T lighten black, the hair dye DYED them 2 different shades. So now I look like a skunk. Not very acceptable for a professional workspace. What’s a girl to do?

Well, I had to call my hairdresser and a local salon to see what I could do, since obviously I shouldn’t be trusted to fix this on my own. The common suggestion soon became “color correction”, which basically involves stripping my hair of the dye color until I get back to my “real” hair color. It is a 2-4 hour process, at minimum, so I should expect to be there for a while. I go into the salon at 1 pm tomorrow, and I’m supposed to be paired with a Hair Coloring “Expert”. I enjoy going and getting my hair done, usually, so let’s hope that 5 hours of sitting around and having my hair pulled or my scalp burning won’t ruin this experience for me!

And believe me, NO MORE HOME DYE JOBS! And especially not black! I’m actually thinking of saving up and going back to blonde highlights once in a while. Which will be tasteful (I did this in high school, and I liked it) and will be done by professionals! But that will be down the road, once my hair has “settled down”. (And depending on if I still like hair coloring after tomorrow!)

Of course, there is always a possibility that he could “strip” my hair, and it could leave certain pigments behind. You know, like purple, green, red, blue. Any color really. So it could be a trial and error process to see how long it takes to get back to my real hair. Or “how many strips does it take to get to the center of Karen’s hair issue?”

We’ll see if I still have a job at a fancy 5 Diamond/5 Stars resort, come Monday morning, if they can’t fix it and I look like her!!!

1 comment:

mk said...

Wow. I recently went dark brown and I almost couldn't look in the mirror for awhile. It looked good, it was just so freaky b/c it didn't look like ME. You're so gutsy to go black!! Good luck tomorrow! Hopefully your stylist has some good magazines...