I made another AMAZING chicken dinner a few nights ago, but it's not from a written recipe. Which was a huge feat for me!
I was thinking all day at work about what to make for dinner when all I thought I had was chicken breasts. I got home and realized we had a ton of rice so I thought I'd make an easy chicken and rice dish. Then, the more I thought about it, I remembered I had some shredded cheese and broccoli in the fridge and then - BAM! - what if I made a casserole?
It immeadiately sounded yummy sound I started to Google recipes. I had a brief moment of panic when I remembered that you need Cream of Chicken soup to "hold" the casserole "together" and so I opened my cabinet while I held my breath - and there was a can! I was smarter than I thought and had bought the can a while back "just in case", and finally it came in handy!!
But then I had a thought - my mom probably has a really awesome, easy recipe for this. Well duh - I was right! She told it to me over the phone, so I mostly had to do it from memory, and since I know I will want to make it again, I figured I might as well write it down so I don't have to keep calling my mom and at the same time share it with you!
It's easy and has few ingredients - Enjoy!
2-3 Chicken breasts
1 cup shredded cheese (or more if you LOVE cheese!)
1 10.75 oz can Cream of Chicken soup
1 pkg frozen broccoli
4 tblsp butter or margarine
2 cups rice (or 1 package of 10 minute rice, or your favorite kind)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Follow package directions on broccoli to warm up it up (if it's frozen). If you choose fresh broccoli, use your discretion/taste to decide how much you want in your dish, and cook as normal in steamer.
3. As broccoli is warming, cut up chicken breasts into small, bite-size pieces. Saute these pieces in a sauce pan on your stove top on low to medium heat to cook.
4. Place all broccoli in a glass baking dish, size depending on how much broccoli/chicken you use. The pan needs to be just big enough for the broccoli to make a layer evenly covering your dish.
5. Once the chicken is cooked, layer it evenly on top of the broccoli.
6. Mix the can of soup, 1 cup of cheese and the butter/margarine (melted first). Spread mixture evenly over the broccoli and chicken.
7. Put pan in oven for 20 minutes.
8. While dish is in oven, cook rice as normal.
Serve Chicken Divan over rice - YUM!!