Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo Resolutions

Haven’t you heard about Cinco de Mayo Resolutions? No? Maybe you’re confused with New Year’s Resolutions. The Cinco de Mayo Resolutions are about the time of year that I start to feel bad about not even working on my New Year’s Resolutions past January 3rd. So that’s when I decide to “recommit”. I originally posted my resolutions to hold myself accountable, but I think that’s probably the last time I looked at them.

I can be positive about one of them though – I have been a consistent blogger!! Normally, when I start journals or blogs, or even handwritten (or other) types of diaries, I go strong for a week or two, and then it becomes an every 6 month kind of thing. I like cataloging my thoughts, and events, and moments so I can go back and look at them, and I’m proud I’ve stuck with it. As for my other resolutions though….

I haven’t started eating any better and definitely haven’t started exercising again. BUT – I have made a “covenant” to myself (if you’ve seen “Yes Man” with Jim Carey, you’ll get the reference) to get up early and take Bailey for a walk around the neighborhood, and then take him again as the first thing I do when I get home from work at the end of the day. He is crate trained, and doesn’t mind being in there, but I still feel bad. Plus, even though I take him to the dog park on the weekends, he gets tired after only 20 minutes or so, and I push him to stay out longer for exercise. So we’re both out of shape. So why not take more walks? He’s also a real “puller” when he’s on the leash, so it never hurts to practice being with him on the leash so he can become good at it, right? We all win!

Today was Day 2 of my new “walking program” and I’m proud to say that I’m sticking with it! I must say, though, that I was out the door at 5:30 yesterday and 5:40 today, so I’m trying to see how much I can get away with, but I’m going to make myself more accountable. I must be dressed and on my way out of the door by 5:30 am or it doesn’t count. Setting a time will also be helpful when I finally get in shape and end up wanting/needing to walk further, especially in the mornings. If I have to be at work by 7, and I want to walk further, I will need to be firm with the time I leave the apartment.

I also have those Nike+ shoes, that feed information to your iPod about calories burned, distance covered, etc., and you can upload it online and share the info with others. So if I can figure out if Blogger can do that, than you can keep track and hold me accountable!!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

No comments: