Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A funny little story...

On Sunday, Justin went fly fishing and Bailey and I tagged along to get some exercise. Bailey was awake from about 9:30 am to 5 pm; no naps at all! That’s pretty unusual, considering that I am at work 8 hours a day and I’m pretty sure all he does when I’m gone is sleep. He passed out as soon as we got home (after eating dinner of course) and didn’t wake up until 9 pm. We had been out by a creek all day, not to mention there was a snow storm that hit in that area last week that was starting to melt, so obviously he was pretty darn muddy. I knew he needed a bath, but I wanted to let him sleep a little first. So he and I hopped in the shower after his “siesta”.


(Side note – I live in an apartment so I have no backyard or “hose down” option, so my only choice is washing him in the bathroom. And I have a walk-in shower, not a tub, so essentially if I want him to be washed, I have to get in with him. I usually only wash him when I need a shower too, to kill 2 birds with one stone. It works. And since I can shut the door behind me, there’s no comedic moment with a soapy dog tearing through the apartment midway through the bath).


Anyway, I get him initially rinsed off and grabbed for his doggie shampoo, only to realize upon opening the bottle that it was completely empty. How that happened, and I didn’t notice before then, I will never know. But here I am, standing in a shower with a fully soaked 117 pound dog. And no doggie shampoo. He needed to be washed. And I had to make an impulsive “dog mommy” decision –


I had to use my shampoo.


Herbal Essences: Long Term Relationship. It’s made for people with long hair, which Bailey definitely does not have. (Not to mention he’s a dog). Needless to say, each time I poured more shampoo into my hands and lathered Bailey up with it, I groaned a little inside thinking “I can’t believe I paid for this shampoo and it’s going on my dog! Now I have to buy shampoo sooner because I’m wasting it!”


There is some good news to share though – he smells AMAZING and I haven’t felt his fur this soft since he was a 2 month old puppy!! I may have to save my shampoo up once a month when I wash him! I’m so glad I have a short haired breed that only needs a shower once a month! (Per the vet and Dogs 101 instructions on Animal Planet!)

No comments: