Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hump-Day Update

That almost rhymes!

So I finally got my new phone - and boy is it orange!! BURNT orange! My brother would be proud!!

It has rained almost every day for the last month or so. I always thought the weather in Dallas was unpredictable and bizarre. I apparently had never lived in Colorado Springs.

I love snow, so I am of course thrilled during the winter months when it randomly snows, and snows for hours, much to the chagrin of my co-workers. However, it doesn’t seem normal, or it didn’t before 3 years ago, for it to snow through late May and early June. But apparently that’s an annual occurrence in the Springs.

Once Spring hits, you have a few weeks of nice weather in the 70’s and 80’s, but you better enjoy it. Once Summer hits, you get a nice day or two maybe in a row, with rainstorms in the afternoon and evening that you could set your clock by. Wonder what time it is? Check the storm clouds. If a system is moving in, it’s 2 pm. If it’s just ending, it’s 3 pm. Then in mid to late summer, you better be prepared to not make any plans past 1 pm or on the weekends, because that’s “rainy season”.

Case in point: The Broadmoor has a webcam attached to the top of the building I work in, aimed at the main entrance of the hotel, so guests can always see what’s going on. I have no windows in my office, so since my desk is aimed the direction the camera is aimed, in theory, the webcam is like my window. I check it every now and then to see how the rain is looking. Here is the activity from this afternoon:

3:15 pm:

3:45 pm:
In just 30 minutes it went from a downpour to nice and sunny. And then again when I left at 5 pm, nice and sunny at 5:45 pm, and now (6:30 pm) the thunder is rolling again! The mountains are also so cloudy they look like snow clouds!

At least it’s not 105 degrees. I don’t know if I’m ready for that again!! I just love the rain!!

No comments: