Friday, August 7, 2009

A Good Cry...

This may seem like a weird post, but I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker of mine this week. She didn’t have a very good weekend, and is looking forward to having a better one this weekend. She mentioned that she just needed a “good cry” to get all the stress out from last week. That got me thinking about what a “good cry” really is…

For those of you who don’t know (mostly men), women don’t always cry randomly, due to a sad commercial, or someone saying or doing something mean to us. Sometimes we deliberately make ourselves sob to act as a release for all of our stress. If you’ve ever watched “Everybody Loves Raymond”, there’s actually an entire episode based around this fact; Debra uses an afternoon where Ray and the kids are out of the house, to sit on the couch and just let it all go, and cry.
He happens to come back for some reason and see her crying, and feels that she’s lying when she tells him she’s crying “just because” – he feels that she can’t cry unless she has a reason, and the funny part is that he feels it was something he did. We don’t always need a reason to cry!!

But we got into a discussion on what movies are our “go-to” movies when we want a “good cry”. Immediately, this co-worker and my boss started naming off movies like “Steel Magnolias”, “The Notebook” and “Of Mice and Men”. I’ve actually never seen any of those, so I couldn’t say I agree with them. But that got me thinking – what are my “go-to” movies?

I like “Love Actually” for a “happy cry”.
That’s the one I’d go to if I just wanted to get a few tears out, but still leave with a happy feeling. If I’m in a good mood, the last thing I’d want is to watch something depressing and walk away more sad than I was to begin with.

For a “sad cry”, if I’m having a bad day or something, I normally pull out Sex and the City.
I can hear people thinking “that’s a sad movie?” If you’ve seen it, and you’re a women (no offense), then you know that yes, it can be heartbreaking at times, and I would say there wasn’t a dry eye in the house during certain scenes when I saw it in the theater. Again, if you’ve seen it, you know what scenes I’m talking about. For the most part, I don’t normally like to keep “sad” movies around because I would much rather watch a comedy, and once you’ve seen it, it doesn’t really have the same impact the next few times. But I can always find myself feeling for the characters in Sex and the City, especially since I understand the story lines due to the tv serires. And I can always count on tearing up – whether it’s for a happy moment, or a heartbreaking moment.

But to end on a high note...below is my picture for the day!

No comments: