Thursday, June 18, 2009

I'm soooo ready for...

Camping season!! Every year, I can’t WAIT to go camping! I’m not generally a self-proclaimed “outdoors girl”, but I really enjoy camping. Which is funny, because it’s dirty and hot, with pitching tents, hiking, and most times there are no bathrooms or showers. But I still love it! I love being outdoors and seeing the beautiful scenery. I love the smells from the trees and rain and pine cones and wildflowers. I love how quiet everything is. I love hiking and taking it all in. I love being able to actually sit down with a book, and read for several hours and not even notice the time flying by. I love being away from answering e-mails and phones, and setting for classes, and going a million miles an hour. I love waking up and walking out of the tent into the morning haze and just taking a deep breath of fresh air, knowing that I have no real responsibilities for the day. I can finally just … relax.

A couple of weeks ago, I emailed my dad to see what he wanted to do to celebrate Father’s Day. He told me that my mom would be out of town that weekend and that he was going camping with his Sunday School class. He wanted to know if I’d like to join him! Rather than having him #1 – camping by himself, or #2 – being alone on Father’s Day, I said yes! (That, and the fact that I love camping, as previously mentioned). So this is my “gift” to him – a weekend of camping with one of his children! (And grandpuppy!)

And finally this year I’m taking Bailey! I know he’s only a year and a half, so he’s still a “puppy” but he has matured over the past year. He is only hard to control because of his sheer size. But he is now aware of where I am and that he’s not supposed to go too far off, as opposed to last year when he would have just torn off into the woods. He’s been walking with me for 30 minutes a day almost everyday for the last 2 weeks, so he knows how to walk with me, and won’t be tired as quickly. He’s still a little hyper, but has calmed down tremendously (despite what it may appear to my parents when he goes over to their house). Once nighttime approaches, and he’s had his food and exercise, he mellows out and is normally happy just chewing on a bone at my feet or cuddling with me on the couch. I think that since he will have his mind and body stimulated more than normal this weekend that he’ll be more tired at the end of the day – which will be nice for the other campers.

Plus, once he’s familiarized himself with his surroundings and the people that are there, he’s fine. He becomes used to them being there, and just needs the initial “Who are you and what do you smell like” introductions, like most dogs. All I’m waiting on is for his brain to catch up with how big he actually is, and then he’ll be 100% grown up! Which, according to other Weim owners, is in another 2 years, when he’s around 3 years old.

It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway – check back next week for pictures!!! I’ll post a few on here, and probably all of them on Facebook.

No comments: